Mobile application security testing will always include the components of evaluation of the application against different kinds of multiple attacks as well as threat vectors. This will be very basically based upon the identification of the vulnerabilities and is the best method of testing how susceptible an application is to security attacks. It will also help in checking for the specific like the quality of code, flow of data, handling of buffer and several other kinds of configurations in the whole process. Security testing of the applications will also include the gamut of checks around the authentication, configuration, authorisation and several other aspects so that everything can be on the right track all the time.
Different types of mobile app security testing categories are:
- Unit testing will be based upon checking out the specific portions of the mobile device which will be perfectly tested out.
- Factory testing will include where the defect brought on or during the manufacturing or assembly phase will be tested.
- Certification testing will be conducted as a part of the go-to-market phase
- Application testing will be based upon use cases that encompassing functionality, memory leakage, performance and installation will be done very well.
The first three categories are the device testing and are given proper precedence over the application testing which should be given proper and equal importance in the whole process. Some of the basic challenges associated with mobile application security testing are explained as:
- Threat analysis:Whenever the applications will be downloaded and used it will be based upon different kinds of login credentials and storage of data which have to be dealt with very easily in the whole process. Threat modelling systems are capable of covering all the possible cyber attacks both internal as well as external.
- Vulnerability analysis: Security loopholes are perfectly checked then possible countermeasures are attested over here which will further help in slotting out different vulnerabilities.
- Analysis of threats related to jailbroken phones: These are specific to the iOS devices and installation of extra applications or unsafe code injection can be the basic aspect of dealing with all these kinds of things. Here the admin will be accessing everything in a much-unauthorised manner so that different kinds of scenarios can be perfectly tested.
- Analysis of the threat related to application: Location access, internet access and specific permission which the organisations need to control over the applications have to be dealt with here and this has to be tested specifically in the whole process.
- Analysis of threats for Android devices:Android being an open system will never put any kind of restrictions in the whole process which is the main reason that organisations need to be very much safe and secure in their approaches so that they can deal with things very effectively and efficiently.
Some of the basic strategies to be implemented by the organisations in the world of mobile application security testing are explained as:
- It is very much advisable for the organisation to prioritise the entire security level of applications that will be waiting depending upon the type of application. The banking application will always require a greater security feature in comparison to a normal social media application.
- The organisations need to plan time and resources and have proper access to a dedicated team in this particular area so that different user cases are perfectly supported and allocation of time has to be carried out very effectively.
- The organisation should be clear about the scope of effort required in this particular industry so that they can deal with things very easily and everything has been scoped out appropriately.
- Organisations always need to invest time in terms of understanding the concepts before getting the testing aspects so that everything can be carried out with a good amount of understanding.
- The organisations should go with the option of learning things and staying up-to-date in terms of complexities so that they can indulge in proper research and learning aspects.
- The companies need to create real-world scenarios so that everything can be checked very easily and there is no application in the whole area. It will further make sure that everything will be carried out in real-time after going live without any problem in the whole process.
- The organisations always need to conduct the code audit regularly so that they can deal with things very effectively and are further very much capable of implementing the best practices of the whole industry in the whole area.
Some of the basic guidelines which the organisations need to follow in terms of setting up the mobile application security procedures are:
- Organisations need to create test cases that will be covering the difference in areas across the entire user journey in this particular area so that a hundred per cent coverage is always there.
- The companies need to spend some time on the web service testing tools to ensure proper data format.
- Companies need to cover multiple user sessions at the time of focusing on the operating system specific features in the whole process so that everything has been covered in a better way.
- Companies need to use automation tools wherever possible so that encompassing of different devices can be done in the best possible fashion.
- Companies need to be clear about covering web, native and hybrid applications in this area so that testing coverage can be perfectly given a great boost and everything has been implemented in the best possible way.
Hence, mobile application security is a very important aspect to be undertaken by the organisations and apart from this depending upon experts in the form of Appsealing should be the topmost priority of the organisation to ensure that incoming traffic has been perfectly checked and everything has been proactively implemented in real-time without any compromise over security in the long run.